Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Paternalism and Pro-active Females in Pocahontas (1995)

Last semester, as part of the FOCUS class on humanitarian challenges, I took a class titled “The Limits of Good Intentions”. We explored the both the limitations and unintended consequences of aid and foreign intervention, with a focus on the 2010 Haitian Earthquake. As I watched Pocahontas (1995), I felt that I could connect many of the topics I learnt in my FOCUS class to the film's content.

In particular, the film struck me as demonstrating paternalism in a foreign land.

Some quotes, particularly verbal exchanges that involved John Smith, that stood out to me in the film included:

“There’s so much we can teach you!” (John Smith)

And the fiery exchange between John and Pocahontas:

John Smith: We've improved the lives of savages all over the world.
Pocahontas: Savages?
John Smith: Uh, not that you're a savage.
Pocahontas: Just my people!
John Smith: No. Listen. That's not what I meant. Let me explain.
...
John Smith: Savage is just a word, uh, you know. A term for people who are uncivilized.
Pocahontas: Like me.
John Smith: Well, when I say uncivilized, what I mean is, is-
Pocahontas: What you mean is, not like you.
"Savages", "uncivilized", "so much we can teach you"?? I thought these terms really reflected paternalistic views held by developed nations, particularly Anglophone countries, towards “less developed” countries. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I wouldn’t use the term “less developed” in this context, because the Powhatan tribe is visibly perfectly content and satisfied with their mode of civilization. This is all very ethnocentric; the imposing of one’s culture (British) on another society.

Moreover, I thought the film was really romanticising aid. For some reason, Pocahontas reminded me a lot about Avatar (2009).

While both plots have many parallels - the annexing of foreign land, the male lead sympathizing with the local tribe - Jake in Avatar actually took the time and effort to fully immerse himself into the customs of the Na’vi tribe, while John Smith’s main motivation for switching allegiance was Pocahontas. I also felt that the romance between John Smith and Pocahontas started of because both were attracted by a person from an “exotic” land.

Furthermore, I felt that the film once again reinforced the idea that Disney female heroines have to be proactive in saving their male partners’ lives, a topic we’ve been discussing in class. Just like the portrayal of Belle in Beauty and the Beast (1991) as being responsible for humanizing Beast, Pocahontas seems to be the only one who is actively trying to negotiate peace between the Powhatan tribe and the British invaders.

In the same vein, while in Avatar, Jake actually actively takes part in the efforts to fight against the American Resources Development Administration, John Smith is pretty passive-aggressive in the film. He is reluctant to talk to Chief Powhatan because he thinks it will be futile, and after he gets captured he is basically useless from then on. In the end, Pocahontas herself has to intervene, threatening her father by almost sacrificing herself at John Smith’s execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment