Sunday, January 22, 2017

Ariel at the Women's March

Last Saturday, I attended the Women's March on Washington in DC; boy did I get to see an interesting range of posters.

One poster caught my eye - it had a picture of Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid, and it read: "Women are too tired of swimming... it's time to stand up!" I tried to take a picture of it but I didn't manage to, which really annoys me.

Ariel was depicted as a embodiment of feminism, yet the sceptical me feels that Ariel is not an appropriate figure. Yes, perhaps that woman with the poster solely identified with Ariel's liberation from the sea and the control of her father, but after all Ariel unhesitantly gave up her voice to pursue a guy whom she hardly knew in exchange for legs and could only rely on the men around her to save her...

To me, the poster was quite an irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment